Regarded as one of South Africa’s leading wine producing regions as well as the country’s premier culinary destination, the Franschhoek Wine Valley has every reason to raise a glass to a stellar year. Earning top accolades has once again placed this picture perfect valley at the top of visitors’ minds.
Herewith a sampling of this year’s highlights:
- La Motte Wine Estate was recognised as the Cape Winelands District Municipality Wine Tourism Destination of the Year.
- For the 2nd year running, Petit & Grande Plaisir Self-Catering Cottages was named as one of the winners in the 2018 Western Cape Lilizela Tourism Awards.
- At the 2018 Novare SA Terroir Awards Dieu Donné Vineyards was recognised as the Top Shiraz producer for its 2016 Shiraz;
- La Bri earned a well-deserved Platinum for its Syrah 2014 at the 2018 Michelangelo International Wine Awards;
- Well known British wine authority, Tim Atkin MW only had rave reviews for the Franschhoek Vignerons in his 2018 South African Wine Review, which saw the likes of Chamonix, Black Elephant Vintners, Bellingham, Anthonij Rupert Wyne and others scoring an impressive 90+ points for wines in their respective ranges;
- Colmant came out tops at the 2018 Amorim Cap Classique Challenge, with their Brut Chardonnay NV being named the Best Blanc de Blancs at this prestigious industry event ;
- The launch of the much anticipated 2019 Platter’s Wine Guide was met with great excitement, especially by Mullineux Wines, Allée Bleue, Colmant, Rickety Bridge and Plaisir de Merle receiving 5-star ratings for their wines. Plaisir de Merle was awarded the Bordeaux Style Red Blend of the Year Award for its Signature Blend 2012, with Rickety Bridge announced as Semillon of the Year for its Road to Santiago 2016. Mullineux Wines not only received the award for Straw Wine of the Year for its Straw Wine 2017, but also walked away with the title of Chardonnay of the Year for its Leeu Passant Stellenbosch Chardonnay 2016. Furthermore, this was the 2nd consecutive year that Colmant was awarded the sought after 5-star rating in the Méthode Cap Classique category;
- On the international front Boschendal was awarded Gold as well as the Trophy for Best South African Chardonnay at the 2018 International Wine Challenge for its Appellation Series Elgin Chardonnay 2016;
- At this year’s Rosé Rocks competition Holden Manz, DGB Bellingham and Boschendal each received Double Gold for their Rosé wines entered;
- At the 2018 Top 100 Wines of South Africa, La Motte and La Bri each secured a spot on this coveted list for their respective wines.
- With fine dining playing a pivotal role in what makes Franschhoek a truly memorable experience, our chefs and restaurants were once again honoured at South Africa’s top culinary awards ceremony. Franschhoek restaurants have been winners in the Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Top 20 Restaurant Awards for many years, on a consistent basis, and 2018 is no exception. This year La Petite Colombe, Le Coin Français, Chefs Warehouse at Maison and Foliage were included on the list of Top 20 restaurants to dine at in South Africa. The Werf Restaurant at Boschendal was this year’s recipient of the Eat Out Woolworths Sustainability Award. In addition Chris Erasmus of Foliage was one of two recipients to be awarded this year’s Eat Out Graham Beck Chefs’ Chef, which is voted for by the chefs of the 30 nominated restaurants.
- Marigold Restaurant, headed up by highly acclaimed chef Vanie Padayachee, was acknowledged as a Platinum Class Winner at the 2018 Fine Dining SAWI Awards.
- Babylonstoren secured 11th position on the prestigious 2018 Conde Nast Traveller list, while according to the World’s Best Boutique Hotels for 2018, Akademie Street Boutique Hotel was voted as the World’s Most Romantic Retreat;
- For the second year running, World Travel Awards named Leeu Estates,the Leeu Collection’s flagship property as South Africa’s Leading Wine Country Hotel.
In November Môreson’s Clayton Reabow was announced as the 2018 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year in the Chardonnay category for his Môreson Mercator Chardonnay 2017. Clayton is no stranger to this competition, winning the Diners Club Young Winemaker of the Year Award in 2009.
Ending the year off on a truly high note, up-and-coming young wine writer Llewellyn Lambert, general manager of the Franschhoek Boutique Hotel,clinched the coveted Veritas Young Wine Writer title for 2018.
‘It has been a bumper year for us, and we’re extremely proud of our members, who strive to keep Franschhoek the preferred destination for local and foreign tourists. Franschhoek is priceless!’ says Franschhoek Wine Valley CEO Reinher Behrens.