When: Saturday 23 April 2016
Venue: Boschendal Farm Estate
Festival weekend 23 & 24 April 2016.
Boschendal natural food farmers, our farm to table chefs and friends of the farm will be sharing their knowledge, passion and produce with festival guests.
This is an informative, inspirational and entertaining weekend on the farm for foodies, ethical and health conscious consumers, fans of artisan produce, urban farmers, and shiny happy people.
The Farm BBQ Picnic and additional kids activities on the Sunday also make this a great day out for families with younger kids.
Informative and Inspirational Sessions (Saturday & Sunday from 9am)
Workshops. From making your own compost to sausage making.
Talks and demos. From urban food growing to biological agriculture.
Guided tastings. Coffee, craft beer, artisan gins, Boschendal wines and MCC.
Informative tours. From guided food garden tour to learning more about biological farming with pasture raised beef and chicken.
See line up below.
- Farm Food and Drinks
- Farm to Table food stalls (Saturday & Sunday)
- Regular Boschendal Picnic hampers (Saturday only. Booking advised)
- Wine & Champagne bar
- Artisan Gin bar
- Craft beer
- Long Table Farm Feast (Saturday 4pm. Booking essential)
The open air farm feast dinner will be at a long communal table with a festive, harvest style atmosphere. Expect platters heaped with seasonal farm produce, great wine including some new Boschendal releases, and some super entertainment.
Most of the food will be prepared on open fires by our chefs with the centre piece being a naturally raised, pasture fed Angus ox that will be put on a spit and slowly roasted over a bed of coals throughout the day.
The Boschendal farm fundis and friends of the farm who participated in the informative festival sessions will join the evening making this a great opportunity to chat and pick their brains.
We will have a separate kids table set up adjacent to the shared long table. In the event of rain we will move the feast into our new event barn.
- Farm BBQ Picnic & Live Music (Sunday from 12.30 pm. Booking essential)
- Enjoy a farm BBQ picnic, live music and fun family activities on the Boschendal lawns.
Pick up your gourmet picnic hamper made primarily with fresh local produce from Boschendal or from our local suppliers and settle in for a great Sunday afternoon.
The farm to table hamper includes pates, breads, spreads, cold meat, salads, dressings, cheeses and dessert. Our chefs will be preparing meat and veg cooked on open fires for picnic goers to enjoy with the contents of the picnic hamper. Activities for kids include pony rides, farm games, a puppet show, face painting, tractor rides, and slack lining.
Boschendal wine will be available at cellar door prices with the craft beer selection and artisan gin bar providing additional temptation.
Tickets via Plankton
Tickets are limited for all events and pre-booking is recommended.
INFORMATIVE AND INSPIRATIONAL SESSION LINE UP
Tickets are on sale via Plankton for these workshops, talks, tastings and tours. Tickets will be sold on the day at the venue but festival guests are strongly advised to pre-book as seats are limited.
Workshops (R250 p.p)
- Fritz Schoon (De Oude Bank Bakkerij) on bread baking
- Frik Oosthuizen (Santa Anna) on good BBQ cooking
- Neil Jewel (Moreson) on charcuterie
- Karen Parkin – composting workshop
- Christiaan Campbell (Boschendal) on fermented foods
- Mark Muncer (Boschendal) on sausage making
- Kids – 3-hour food garden and egg tour and pizza making (R75)
Talks (R50 p.p.)
- Jean on Biological Agriculture using biopesticides
- Megan McCarthy (Boschendal Food Garden) on urban food growing
- Nico Uys (Probio) on bacteria in agriculture and soil health
- Farmer Angus (Spier) on pasture raised beef
- Karen Parkin – Seed saving
- Wayne Rademeyer (Buffalo Ridge) on mozzarella making
- James Moffat (Grain farmer) on heirloom wheat
- Jake Easton (Tribe Coffee) on coffee
- Roger Jorgennsen (Jorgennsen’s) on artisan gin
- Lizelle Gerber (Boschendal) on MCC
- Richard Duckitt (Boschendal ) on red wine
- TBA on craft beer
Farm Tours (R25-R125 p.p)
- Food Garden – Megan McCarthy
- Chicken & Eggs – Farmer Rico
- Beef – Mark Muncer
- Agri-Landscaping – Jan Blok
- Vineyard and Winery Tour
- Speakers Corner (no charge)
All of the above plus other exhibitors chat for 15 minutes on their passion/field/area of interest.
So every 15 minutes during the two days someone comes up to chat.