Snow Pudding recipe by Pierneef à La Motte, featured in the Cape Winelands Cuisine cookbook (Page 193)
Serve 4 – 6
1 Tbsp (15 ml) gelatin powder or use sheets
¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
2 egg whites
Extra 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Sponge the gelatin in the cold water for a few minutes (to sponge means to sprinkle the gelatin powder over cold water and leave it for 1 minute to allow it to absorb all the water), and then dissolve in the boiling water.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve and leave to cool.
- When it starts to set, whisk the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg whites until almost stiff and slowly add the extra sugar. Whisk until a stiff meringue forms. Fold the meringue into the gelatin mixture using a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared mould or glasses and leave to set in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Decorate as desired and serve with egg custard.