Unique Franschhoek Experiences Up For Grabs At This Year’s Cape Wine Auction
This weekend sees the start of the annual Cape Wine Auction, which aims to raise funds for 24 carefully selected beneficiaries who make a profound impact on the education and lives of children in the Cape winelands.
Traditionally the two-day auction commences with a Barrel Auction on the Friday night, but this year the organisers have decided to change things a bit. As a point of departure the Friday evening will take on the form of 12 once-in-a-lifetime weekend winemaker/owner experiences with some of South Africa’s top wineries on offer to the highest bidder. Scheduled to take place on Friday, 14 February at the beautiful The Werf Restaurant at Boschendal Estate, guests will be treated to a splendid dinner prepared by chef Allistaire Lawrence and his team. Part of the evening’s experience also includes live music in the comfort of the popular Boschendal Market.
Franschhoek Wine Valley members who have generously donated some of the unique experiences for the Friday night auction include:
- A two-night stay for two couples at Boschendal’s luxury tented camp which is set to open in March. The all-inclusive stay also offers outdoor yoga, guided hikes, swimming, farm and vineyard tours, a tutored tasting of Boschendal’s MCCs and a gift pack for both couples.
- Two nights’ accommodation at the luxurious Mont d’Or Franschhoek with dinners prepared by Chef Nic van Wyk and winemaker Wynand Grobler presenting the De Kleine Wijn Wines. Cricket legend and Protea captain Faf du Plessis will join the dinners to speak about his love for wine and how he became a partner in the business.
- A weekend for four at Plaisir de Merle staying in the historic Manor House
The excitement continues on Saturday, 15 February with the main event also taking place at Boschendal. Once again interested bidders can look forward to a line-up of distinctive Franschhoek lots, which include:
- Packaged as the ultimate gastronomic experience in Franschhoek, this lot includes two nights’ accommodation at La Residence, a private vintage tasting at La Motte, cellar tour and tasting at Haute Cabrière Restaurant, followed by dinner. A private cooking class at Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards, lunch at Chef Darren Badenhorst’s new restaurant – Le chêne, dinner at Chefs Warehouse at Maison, as well as a cellar tour and tasting at Le Lude and lunch at Orangerie. Without a doubt a unique experience!
- A six year vertical of Rickety Bridge’s Paulina Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon as well as three nights’ accommodation for two couples at the Rickety Bridge Manor House. It doesn’t end there as the lot also includes seven nights’ accommodation for two couples in a luxury apartment in Paris.
- Two nights’ accommodation for five couples in the 5-star Holden Manz Country House as well as lunch, dinner and a private wine tasting. Included in this experience is a party for 40 people at the restaurant night, which includes wine and food.
- Six couples will get the chance to enjoy a luxurious weekend stay at Boschendal’s Mountain Villa, and includes dinner and a private wine tasting.
- Rupert & Rothschild Vignerons have put together an über luxurious lot, which includes a two-night stay for one couple at The Chalets du Mont d’Arbois, a Four Seasons Hotel in Megève. Returning to South African soils, the lucky bidder will be treated to a private chauffeur transfer from Cape Town to Franschhoek, where, together with guests five guests will get the opportunity to enjoy the estate with a personalised vertical vintage wine tasting experience paired with an indulgent signature four-course meal, laid out on the private gardens of the Manor House, not open to the public.
- The Franschhoek Wine Valley lots conclude with an out of this world offering from Leeu Collection. Packaged to perfection the lucky bidder will be treated to two nights’ accommodation at Leeu Estates; a private tutored tasting of Mullineux & Leeu Family Wines; a beautiful ceramic vase by South African artist Lucinda Mudge, pledged by the Everard Read Art Gallery, as well as two dinners at restaurants on Leeu Estates, to name but a few of the experiences included.
For more information on this worthy cause as well as the auction lots on offer visit www.thecapewineauction.com.